Sunday, March 13, 2011

Review: Clan of the Cave Bear, by Jean M. Auel

It had been about ten years since I first, and last, read this book. I picked up the series, The Earth's Children series, in my college years when it was an appropriate companion to my beloved anthropology and biology classes. I loved it then, and I love it just as much now. It was like meeting with a good friend after a long absence. This is the first book in Auel's series, and also the most pivotal. It's not as thick with beautiful descriptions of landscape and epoch as her other books because it is more of a character study, one that is crucial to the entire rest of the series. That's not to say that it isn't heavy on the long winded descriptions, and I know many find the book tedious, but it's her ability to draw the Paleolithic world and its inhabitants that draws me to the series.
Auel's sixth and supposedly last installment of the series is to be released on March 29th and I'm racing the calendar to see if I can re-read all five of the existing books before it arrives.
Book 2 on my way to 52 in 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment